By Kathryn Boland, Flow and Grow Kids Yoga 95-Hour Teacher Training Graduate and Blog Manager
Updated by Lara Hocheiser December 7, 2022
Winter, a lovely time to breathe, slow down, and strike a warming pose
Winter can feel long, but yoga can help! Winter yoga can help warm, stretch and release bodies that are fending against the cold. It can also help us appreciate the beauty and purpose of the winter. Everything needs time to rest and restore, even nature! Getting imaginative with these ideas can help bring fun and important lessons to kids through the winter season. Enjoy our Part II of winter poses!
Start with warming the body through Lion’s Breath. The video above shows how! It’s a fun breath that can also bring energy to tired winter bodies and spirits. As they say, March (the last month of winter) comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.
- Take your feet as wide apart as your hips. If you’re not sure how much that is, put two fists between your feet — like a playful gorilla!
- Put your hands in fists, and reach your arms out at the same height as your shoulders — like you’re holding ski poles.
- Bend your knees and sit deep, like you’re sitting down in a chair.
- Imagine that you’re going down the slopes. Feel the chilly air moving across your face. So fun! Hold the pose for a few more breaths.
- Then straighten your knees and drop your arms to rest. Take any movements or other poses that feel good (including a restful pose — what does your body need?).
–Strengthens the legs and abdominals
–Develops balance and proprioception
–Stretches the glutes, hamstrings, and back muscles
–Brings a smile!
Fun Activity with Kids:
Everyone can help keep themselves and each other warm on the slopes! Rub hands together for a few seconds and then breathe into them.
After doing that a couple of times, blow some warm air to each other!(Avoid if in a space together and practicing social distancing due to COVID guidelines — have kids keep breath to themselves. If practicing virtually, blow it to each other through the screen — it’s all imaginative!)
- Take your feet a bit wider than your hips, toes pointing slightly outwards.
- On a breathe in, reach your arms up in a V-shape, and spread your fingers wide. Feel energy moving through them.
- Look directly forward with energy and confidence — it helps with balance!
- Hold the pose for a few more breaths. How does it feel to reach big and take up space?
- Come out of the pose by dropping your arms and taking your feet closer together. Take any wiggles in your body that feel good after holding that pose!
–Stretches and strengthens the whole body!
–Brings breath, energy, and a feeling of expansiveness through body
–Strengthens balance and proprioception
–Reaching big is a whole lot of fun!
Fun Activity with Kids:
Imagine that you’re all falling snowflakes in a winter wind!
- On a breath out, lower your hips in a swaying motion, like a falling snowflake in the breeze.
- With the breath in, straighten your knees and let your arms move from side-to-side, soft and noodly like cooked spaghetti.
- Try that three more times!
Let us know how you like the winter poses!