An easy tutorial on how to make almond milk, 3 different ways! From classic vanilla, to spicy chai and decadent chocolate, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how to make almond milk at home!
I remember the first time I had homemade almond milk. I could not believe how much BETTER it tasted that store-bought almond milk. So rich, so creamy and simple to make. I’m sharing a base almond milk recipe plus three variations to spice it up… literally.
For anyone with a lactose intolerance or anyone who wants to try a new dairy-free milk substitute, this recipe is for you!
Is homemade almond milk good for you?
YES! The best thing about making your own almond milk (other than the insanely delicious flavor) is the ingredient list.
To make the base recipe, it’s just three ingredients: almonds, water and maple syrup. Conventional almond milk typically has more ingredients, added sugar or sweeteners and preservatives. Avoid all of that by making your own!
Is homemade almond milk cheaper?
Great question. It depends on what almond milks you’re buying. If you’re buying the good quality almond milk… you know which brands I’m talking about, the price is probably comparable. If you’re buying the store brand almond milk, you can probably buy it cheaper than you can make it.
Having said that, it’s not super expensive to make! The highest cost is the almonds but you only need 1 cup almonds per batch of homemade almond milk. I like to buy my almonds from the bulk section at the grocery store to stock up.
Ingredients in Homemade Almond Milk
- raw almonds – you could also use roasted almonds but this will adjust the flavor. Try to opt for unsalted as you don’t want super salted almond milk
- water – 4 cups water, regular or filtered. Whatever you prefer.
- maple syrup – for sweetness. You could also use honey or agave based on preference or what you have on hand.
How to Make Almond Milk
STEP 1: SOAK ALMONDS
Place your raw almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Let the almonds and water sit overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
STEP 2: DRAIN ALMONDS + BLEND
Drain the soaked almonds and place in a blender. Add 4 cups of water to the blender and blend until smooth – I usually blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
STEP 3: STRAIN ALMOND MILK TO REMOVE PULP
When the mixture in your blender is smooth, place a nut milk bag or several layers of cheesecloth (or a fine mesh strainer) over a large bowl. Pour the blender mixture through the nut milk bag or cheesecloth and gently squeeze until all of the liquid is in the bowl and you’re left with leftover almond pulp in the bag.
STEP 4: ADD SWEETENER + FLAVORINGS
Add in the maple syrup and any other desired flavors to the almond milk and mix. That’s it!
Try Different Flavor Combinations!
Vanilla Almond Milk – Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or fresh vanilla bean)
Chocolate Almond Milk – vanilla extract, cocoa powder + more maple syrup to balance it out
Chai Almond Milk – vanilla extract + spices (ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice + cloves)
How long does it last in the fridge?
If you store your almond milk in an air-tight container or jar in the refrigerator, it will last you 3-5 days. I have a new ritual of making a batch of almond milk on Sunday or Monday and enjoying it throughout the week.
You’ll need to give it a good shake before using as it’s normal to see some separation.
How to Use Almond Milk
Truly the sky is the limit! Use in place of store-bought almond milk or regular dairy milk.
How to Make Almond Milk
An easy video tutorial on how to make homemade almond milk, 3 different ways! From classic vanilla, to spicy chai and decadent chocolate, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how.
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 6 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blend
- Diet: Vegan
for the vanilla flavored:
for the chai flavored:
for the chocolate flavored:
- Place almonds in a bowl and fill bowl with water until almonds are covered.
- Let soak overnight, or for at least 6-8 hours.
- Strain almonds and place in blender.
- Add 4 cups of water to blender and blend until smooth (my blender takes about 45 sec-1 min of blending).
- Place nut milk bag or several layers of cheese-cloth over a large bowl of jug.
- Pour contents of blender through nut-milk bag or cheese-cloth to strain and squeeze bag until all liquid has been removed.
- Add in maple syrup and then flavor with desired flavorings, as listed above.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Shake before using.
Keywords: how to make almond milk
Like this recipe? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!